- Baricitinib should be consider for use by healthcare providers, in combination with remdesivir (Veklury), to treat suspected or laboratory confirmed COVID-19 in hospitalized adults and pediatric patients 2 years of age or older requiring supplemental oxygen, invasive mechanical ventilation, or ECMO. It is not authorized for use in patients who are not hospitalized or who are hospitalized but not on oxygen.
- Baracitinib should be given as soon as possible after positive test results of direct SARS-CoV-2 viral testing in the hospitalized patient for best benefit.
- Providers should follow all of the dosing and administration guidance provided by the manufacturer and the FDA.
- Baricitinib should be stored at 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F) with excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F).
- Baricitinib could be used in pregnancy only if potential benefit justifies potential risk for mother and fetus.
- Providers should be aware that baricitinib is not recommended for patients with known active tuberculosis (TB).
- Providers should ensure that the required documentation of patient consent (including Fact sheet) is used, and report adverse events to FDA MedWatch, following the requirements under Emergency Use Authorization.
Download this resource